Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Freak Show


Life is so full of freaks on display! This guy looks like a shell of a body with no spirit inside. That's a cat on his shoulder outside a hockey game! Who does that??? That cat was a bigger freak than his owner. I was so afraid I didn't even put my hand out!

Why is it so easy to judge a guy like this? His freakness is blatant!

There's numerous stories about freaks everyday on the street, in the news and in our neighborhoods. People who live seemingly normal lives but have freakish fetishes for dark things they don't want to come to light. Then there's guys like this, who boldly let their freak flag fly.

It seems to me we are all freaks! In the words of Rob Thomas "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell". Aren't we all a little unwell? I'm not trying to make any pronouncements here about my personal fetishes. I am though, admitting that I'm probably a freak. I have said and done some very freaky things in my lifetime!

Are there levels that you can read on a freakometer? Maybe the line between freak and blatant freak is drugs, intoxication or mental illness. It's easy for me to judge this guy cause I'm afraid. I'm afraid of what he might do to me. I'm afraid of what lies within myself. I'm afraid of crossing that line into blatant freak territory. As if hidden freak is somehow better right?

What do I gain by judging this guy? Better question, what do I gain by NOT judging this guy? Tolerance is easy but not necessarily intuitive.

"We should not pretend to understand the world only by the intellect. The judgement of the intellect is only part of the truth" Carl Jung

3 comments:

AndreaMR said...

Good post. However, there is a fine line between tolerance and stupidity. I think as a people we have blurred tolerance with "coolness" and it has taken us to some place we don't necessarily want to be. For example, the quick race to become an adult and the things that are permissible to kids today. The rapid moral and ethical decline of all things media related. But I digress...you were talking about freakiness. In the end I guess it's all relative.

laura said...

"Tolerance is easy but not necessarily intuitive". SO TRUE! Great piece, Laura!!

Laura Petersen said...

Woah, last name please Laura It makes it look like I wrote it! LOL! Thanks!

Thanks Andrea - I feel ya!