Monday, June 13, 2011

Strange News

Have you read the news lately?  There are so many bizarre stories going on right now, it's insane!  I'm not a big news person, in fact I try not to get more then a little news each day.  I opt generally for the local news and I get a healthy fix of political or world news from my NPR junky husband.  That's enough for me.  For years, I have tried to strike a balance between being informed and being overwhelmed.

I have talked many times in this blog about the rising energy on the planet now days and how you can see it's effects everywhere.  In this light, I'm fascinated by the way the news is shared.  I'm sure some out there would rather not be in the news at all but others seem to use the media as their personal marketing department.  Lets face it, that a Reverend with a radio show can spark world wide panic over the rapture and make hundreds of millions in the process is pretty impressive.  I can't stop thinking about how to harness the media to market the businesses I care about and have them go viral.  What's lacking is the fear factor.  Without that it's not going viral. 

Sickness is another big winner in the media.  The weirder or crazier you are, the more play you get.  If Sarah Palin pees in a public toilet, it makes news.  No, I'm not calling her sick, just crazy.  Does anyone care that Kelly Ripa made a list of her favorite food?  I like her but I don't give a crap what she eats.  There's only so much time in the day people!

This whole weiner gate thing is so strange!  It's actually a great example of something that should be covered for us to be well informed about our elected officials.  But, how much coverage is reasonable???  By the way, am I the only one that searched through the European news to find the actual picture of his penis?  Well so be it.  It's a riot that he took a picture of big Jim and the Twins from that angle and thought it was good looking.  It was bigger then I thought it would be but I don't think there is such a thing as penis glamour shots.  Yikes!

Sometimes it's just too much information!  Often it's just a body count.  There was a great story in The Everett Herald this morning about a guy who suffered a heart attack and died playing ultimate frisbee with friends.  They revived him and he recovered.  That's a nice break from the "news".
  

No comments: