Thursday, June 30, 2011

Here's my money....where's my respect?

Dear Entrepreneurs, If I spend money in your establishment I expect to be treated with respect!  That's not so much to ask is it?

There is a delightful health food store within a mile of my house called Tru Health.  I LOVE this store!  It is wall to wall with a wide array of healthy food, vitamins, supplements, herbs etc.  You can find the obscure items very quickly.  The prices are very reasonable as well.  I have been depositing money into their cash register for years. 

The owner has vast experience and training in all things health.  Unfortunately, she is judgemental and condescending.  It's really quite unfortunate, because she knows what she's talking about!!

When I went in this week, I asked the guy behind the counter about my photo sensitivity (it's a sun allergy that causes severe break outs on my arms).   He asked me to wait while he went to get her.  I have been dealing with this for years so I brought with me the chemical laden sunscreen which is the only one I've ever found that works.  I also brought with me the prescription strength ointment.  I thought by bringing the "bad" versions of what works the best, she would be able to help me find natural solutions in her store. 

She wigged out on me.  She said "that stuff is all chemicals, you're not going to find that here".  To which I replied "that's why I'm here".  She was curt and short with me.  She quickly pointed to two sunscreens and then a third option in a bottle that she had made.  She told me that this was the one she uses for herself and for her son (although she doesn't have the allergy that I do).  She reminded me again "I would never use one of those" to which I replied again "that's why I came in".  She announced in a mean tone that I needed more antioxidants and turned on her heels and disappeared.  WOW, I was stunned!  The guy behind the counter seemed to recognize the energetic beating she just gave me and was much kinder and nicer as he took me to the antioxidant isle and explained skin, uv rays and supplements.  And yes, I got out my wallet and handed over another $60.

I'm not a total healthful kind of person, I know this sounds insane to people like this woman.  I love to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes and eat junk food some of the time.  I'm shooting for balance.  I have no desire to live a "perfectly healthful" life.  If I can replace some of my chemically laden products I will.  I live way more healthfully now then I ever have in my life.  Partially due to this store and their products. 

Please note that I'm not talking behind this woman's back, I intend to e-mail a link to the store.  I want to continue to spend my hard earned money in that store often.  I just want to be respected.  I just want to be able to ask a question and get an answer that is neutral and kind.  Is that so much to ask in return for being a loyal customer?

Click here to read a follow up to this story

3 comments:

Timothy and Jeanne Hisey said...

Way to go! Hopefully she will hear the constructive criticism and do some soul-searching on how she can grow as a person, and be as healthy emotionally as she is clearly attempting to be physically.

Small business owners should always be very careful to focus on service. An unhappy customer has great power...which is evident by this very post. If I were her I wouldn't want this kind of blog written about my business...especially with the economy the way it is...I'm sure you could find someone who is all too willing to take your business...and money...and give great service to boot! Well said!

Scott Roberts said...

Wow, Laura. You're more patient than I am. I would have given her a piece of my mind and then never shopped there again. :-)

Laura Petersen said...

Thanks Guys! Scott, it's hard to beat a store that close to your house. I would have to go to Lynnwood or Kirkland for a half way decent one and even that is not the one I love. Hell, I can stop by there quickly on the way home EVEN when I ride the bus to work. Watch for today's follow up post!