Saturday, February 5, 2011

Settling Grievances

I will warn you in advance, this post will surely sound extremely selfish and petty.  Perhaps it's true but I bare my soul here partially to hold myself accountable so here it is!

Last night while we were visiting with our daughter Kesa and her boyfriend Tyler it struck me that this was my opportunity to air a grievance that had been years in the making.  I requested a family meeting sans Lafe who was working. I announced that I had a grievance that I needed to get out in the open.  Of course they all agreed with very serious looking faces.  Who can blame them for breaking a sweat when Mama's got an issue.  They have been down that road but I digress.

The Grievance:  We don't celebrate my birthday the way we celebrate theirs!  My family loves me unconditionally, I am always recognized with gifts or flowers and of course Mark cooks whatever lavish meal I'm in the mood for.  It's not that we don't celebrate it's just different then their birthdays.  Lafe was born on May 31st, Kesa on June 12th and Mark on July 3rd.  It's summer so we have generous parties to mark the occasions.  On February 16th, it's winter and no one feels like a party!  One caveat, I gave myself a birthday party for my 40th and Mark helped with preparations.  We had a GREAT time!  Since I'm always the photographer, there are no pictures to prove it. 

Partially responsible....back in 2006, I invited Mark's best friend Hal to come out for his birthday and make it a surprise.  I even packed him up in the trunk on an 80 degree day for a bit too long since Mark was late arriving home.  : ) 

Now it's a tradition.  Hal comes out and we party for a week to celebrate Mark's birthday.  Here's 2009, Mark's big 50!


Here's 2010 - We had another blowout party in the back yard with 30-40 of our friends and family.  Since his birthday is the day before 4th of July we had a back yard full of friends and family two nights in a row, it was a blast!


First, let me say that these summer birthday celebrations are so much fun.  I want them to continue forever!  I hope my family knows how much joy it brings me to celebrate with them!

All I really want on my birthday that is missing is the FUN!  I want to do something fun with my family.  I requested a family bowling party this year to celebrate, be together and have some laughs!  Of course, they were so relieved to hear that this was my big grievance.  Mark said "whoa, that's the easiest grievance to settle ever!"  I only have 40 or 50 more birthdays so I guess I feel ok requesting what I want.


2 comments:

Timothy and Jeanne Hisey said...

Laura,
As a fellow Febuarian I agree compleatly. Jeanne, of course, has always done well for me in this area but, I am sure it is a task. Creative thinking is always appriciated though. Her birthday is in December and close to Christmas... You inspire me to do better by her!
Timothy

Laura Petersen said...

Thanks Bro, you and my Sister deserve it!