Friday, February 25, 2011

Learning About Learning

I don't usually blog about work but it's so relevant I'm making one small exception:

Yesterday I was standing next to a coworker and we were looking into a problem in our inventory system.  I said "may I?" as I grabbed the mouse and clicked a couple of times and showed him something.  He had never seen it before and said "great I learned something new today"!  Moments later he went to a screen and I saw something I didn't know existed.  We celebrated with laughter and high fives!  Learning is so much fun!

The last few years I've seen a lot of studies tauting the benefits of building brain reserves.  Experts claim you can improve memory, sleep and self confidence and even prevent Alzheimer's.  One article from a 2008 Wall Street Journal was particularly interesting to me.  It recommends memorization, solving riddles, working puzzles, investigative thinking and altering routines.

I can attest to the working puzzles part.  Here's the game I play on my cell phone.  It's called wordfued, very similar to scrabble.  I play against total strangers and one friend.  Not only does it challenge my brain but I often have to get out a dictionary when someone plays a word I don't know.  Great fun!



I love the recommendation about altering patterns and routines.  Man, I'm a serious routine freak.  I do things in the exact same order every single day.  The article said "take a new route, eat with your other hand, rearrange your computer desktop.  Vary your habits regularly to create new brain pathways."  I can create a new brain pathway?  Wow, it feels like blazing a trail I like it!

What the heck, I'll bite.  I'm going to try to alter some of my routines and change things up a bit, want to join me?

Learning a foreign language was listed as one of the most beneficial activities from a variety of sources.  I'm also going to attempt to learn some German between now and my trip in August.  Wish me luck!

I didn't find any articles that claim that learning is non-beneficial.  It may be an indisputable truth.  They're aren't very many of those! 

No comments: