Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday 101

Some people black Friday and some people don't.  It's an investment that not everyone is cut out for.  I'm middle of the road in that I would never camp out or fight with anyone over the door buster savings item.  I do however use the opportunity to trade some of my time for a lesser amount of money.  In fact, it's the hunt that I enjoy.  I shop for myself and I Christmas shop all on a mapped out project. It brings me joy, maybe I can pass on a veterans advice!

The first thing I do is venture down to the corner store on Thanksgiving and pick up the daily paper pregnant with fliers and ads.  It's so fun just to look through and sorting is easy.  Three piles: first round yes, price checking pile and rejects.  You break it down from there.  I know you could go online and perhaps I will but currently, I love this break from standing on my feet in the kitchen on the big day. 

I was going to go at 4am just to slip in behind the others and have guaranteed full stock, but avoid the main items that garner all the attention.  The alarm got turned off because I have been on overload lately which I feel zero guilt for.  I hit the stores just after 9am.  Timing is everything!  The discounts have clocks ticking so first off to Bed Bath and Beyond for the 10am deadline on 20% off my whole order (this stop was for me).  I then cut over to the store at the mall and scooped up all 4 items I was after and out in 30 minutes. 

Now off to the fabric store, I only had until noon to get the $10.99 fabric for $2.  This is KEY!  Pull your number then shop listening carefully to the announcements.  I pulled my ticket, shopped for 10 minutes and waited another 30 minutes before they called my number.  They announced that if you were in line past noon you would need a signature on your coupon.  Done, don't have to tell me twice.  After the cutting table, I waited another 30 minutes in the check out line.  There I met more fabulous people that thoroughly entertained me. 

After that, I went to two more stores and waltzed in grabbed my items and walked out.  Easy breezy.  That was good too. 

18.7 miles and 5 hours later, I saved a bunch of money.  In the past I have double teamed with my daughter and that is a super fun experience.  A lot of people go in pairs so one stays in line, that sure helps with time.  I didn't mind and now I'm ready to dig out my Christmas ornaments and celebrate! 

No comments: